Dated History - Sawbridgeworth

Go to content

Main menu:

Dated History

History
Pre 1919 Bowling first commenced (as far as is known) in Sawbridgeworth on the lawn of the garden of Mr A. E. Rix the founder member of the Club 1919 

Sawbridgeworth Bowling Club was formed on 15th November at a special meeting of the Sawbridgeworth and District Allotment Holders, resulting in a five rink green being constructed by the members on an area of Town Fields previously used as allotments1924

The first clubhouse, built by the members, remained in use as the Gentlemen's changing rooms until 2005

1924Club Members in front of the Clubhouse. During the year a Cup was presented by the then President, Mr A.E. Cutforth for a singles competition1925 

Club affiliated to the Hertfordshire Bowls Association1926 

Club joined the East Herts Bowling League which consisted of ten clubs. Sawbridgeworth won both the Singles and the Fours Competitions.

1926 Nockolds presented the club with a cup for the men's pair competition

1930 Membership fee raised from 7 shillings & 6 pence to 10 shillings per year due to the Club's flagging bank balance which was £3.15s.7p

1931 Concern was expressed at the unevenness of the green and professional advice and help was sought for the green and the ditches at a cost of £80

1933 The club provided a team to play in a match at Havers Park B.C. in honour of the visit of the Duchess of York (later to become the Queen Mother) who was visiting Bishop's Stortford to open a new wing of the local hospital

1936 The club's committee expressed concern over the introduction of composite bowls and the secretary was instructed to write to the English Bowling Association requesting composite bowls be banned from competition bowling . No reply was received. The Henselite bowls then cost £5.8s.6p. per set

1937 Ladies were allowed to join the bowling ranks and a ladies section was formed1938 The question of Sunday play at Sawbridgeworth was heavily out voted1939-1945 During the second world war the bowling activities were severly restricted. All matches were cancelled but club competitions went ahead

1946 Club reached record of 80 members. 60 men and 20 ladies1947 1000 new turfs laid to improve the state of the green

1950 Miss M Morris elected President of the Hertfordshire County Womens Bowling Association1950 A Cup was presented to the club by Mrs Rix in memory of her late husband, Mr A.E Rix, the Club Founder The cup was awarded initally for a fixed jack competition

1952 Barclay Perkins Cup was instituted for a Triples Competition1954 Club agreed to allow play on Sunday but not to commence before 3 p.m.1958 First club dinner was held at the "Cosy Cafe", London Road, at a cost of 9shillings & 6 pence per person

1960 Bar erected in the club but the licence rejected as club rules did not conform

1961 Club Rules changed to conform to the Licencing Laws. Bar opened in the old club house

1963 New machine store erected beside the original clubhouse1965 Bert Riches presented a shield for the annual match against Havers Park B. C.1965 Reg Goulding presented a cup for a competition for married couples

1966 Sub committee formed to develop proposals for a new clubhouse. The new club house was built by members to plans drawn up by Jack Edwards with an estimated cost of £650, funded initally by loans from Walter May and Bert Riches

1967New clubhouse was officially opened by the then President Air- Commodore J. E Allen-Jones .CBE with over 100 members present1967 Electricity was laid into the club buildings

1967 Mr W. E. May elected President of the East Hertfordshire Bowling Association1968 Mrs Olive Cockes elected President of the Hertfordshire County Women's Bowling Association

1969 Golden Jubilee year of the club1972 Green extended to include a sixth rink by members of the club thus halving the contractors estimate of costs. Play in all four directions was now possible

1974 Clubhouse extention was undertaken by members to plans drawn up by Charlie Norris at an estimated cost of £1200-001975 Club toilets were connected into the main sewer

1975 Cup presented by Mrs Austin, in memory of her late husband, which became the Victor Ladorum Cup.

1991 Mr J Baddeley elected President of the East Hertfordshire Bowling Association

1991 Mrs D May elected President of the East Hertfordshire Womens Bowling Association

1993 New Club House extended and refurbished to plans drawn up by John Baddeley to a cost of £8500-00

1995On the 27th August the club were honored by a visit of members from The Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Bowls Club

1995Finals Day wipe out by torrential rain which due to the poor drainage left us with a lake. As a result a sub committee was set up to consider the possibility of inserting land drains. Following discussion with a number of greens contractors it was decided that a new green and irrigation was needed

1996 At a specially convened EGM in April 1996 the motion was passed that provided the finances could be put in place then a contractor could be engaged which resulted in a New Green and automatic irrigation system being installed. Picture of commencement of Green being dug up

1997New Green and irrigation system installed and ready for bowling

1997 Club's Diamond Jubilee year.2004/5The old original clubhouse had reached a point where it was not economic to undertake repairs so plans were drawn up, by a sub committee, for New Changing Rooms which were build by sub contractors and club members under the direction of Robin Williams and Bernard Jones. The new changing rooms were officially opened by the Town Mayor, Mrs Joyce Vincent, on 7 May 2005

2008New Kitchen designed and installed, on time & with in budget, by club members2012/3 New Picture windows fitted to front of Club house and wodden facia replaced with black PVC slats

2015 Flood lighting fitted to the four corners of the green
21/09/2017
Back to content | Back to main menu